The proper length of toenails is a personal decision, but the longer they are, the greater the risk of possible problems arising. Common issues can include scratching the skin open, breaking, and/or snagging them on clothing. Toenails should be clipped carefully and filed. Seniors may have a hard time taking care of their own toenails due to a variety of physical restraints. Also, elderly toenails are more likely to get thick and hard because nails grow slower and nail cells can build up. Nails should be trimmed every four to eight weeks depending on growth. Regular visits to a podiatrist can provide an assessment of overall foot health and proper grooming of toenails.
Proper foot care is something many older adults forget to consider. If you have any concerns about your feet and ankles, contact one of our podiatrists from Northern Arizona Podiatry. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
The Elderly and Their Feet
As we age we start to notice many changes in our body, but the elder population may not notice them right away. Medical conditions may prevent the elderly to take notice of their foot health right away. Poor vision is a lead contributor to not taking action for the elderly.
- Neuropathy – can reduce feeling in the feet and can hide many life-threatening medical conditions.
- Reduced flexibility – prevents the ability of proper toenail trimming, and foot cleaning. If left untreated, it may lead to further medical issues.
- Foot sores – amongst the older population can be serious before they are discovered. Some of the problematic conditions they may face are:
- Gouging toenails affecting nearby toe
- Shoes that don’t fit properly
- Pressure sores
- Loss of circulation in legs & feet
- Edema & swelling of feet and ankles
Diabetes and poor circulation can cause general loss of sensitivity over the years, turning a simple cut into a serious issue.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Flagstaff, Campe Verde, Winslow, and Williams, AZ . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.